GARDENING FACT SHEET:
“Trees & Shrubs: Planting & Care Instructions” (Click to View Printable PDF file)
- Score the root ball on all sides to prevent girdling.
- Prepare the hole 2 times the width of the root ball and to the depth of the root ball.
- DO NOT plant too deep!
- Mix native soil with 1/3 compost and thoroughly mix with water as you backfill.
- Set your hose on top of the original root ball and water with a very slow stream of water.
- Perennials, shrubs and trees benefit from infrequent, deep applications of water. Watering too often will deprive the plant of oxygen, while not enough water will result in desiccation.
- Check if your plant needs water by digging down around the outside of the root ball and squeezing the soil. If soil forms a moist ball your plant has enough water, if it falls apart water thoroughly.